Supplements for Coeliac HealingBy Aidan - Autoimmune Disease
Which Supplements can I take to help with my Coeliac Healing?
Discovering you or a loved one has Coeliac disease is a lot to take in. The first thing we started planning was our daughters new Gluten Free focused diet. This was to ensure that no more damage is done to her small intestine. We started to worry about how she was going to absorb nutrients whilst her body healed.
Everyone heals differently, the Doctor who performed our daughters Endoscopy told us the damage to her Villi was quite significant so we have had to be patient and of course vigilant to ensure that we have no slip ups.
A question we have seen come up in various Coeliac groups is Which supplements are gluten free? and Which Supplements should I be taking to help with my Coeliac Healing?
Firstly not all supplements are gluten free so be careful to check before you reach into the old medicine cupboard. Secondly your health practitioner will be able to test to confirm which vitamins you are low on, but as a guide these are often the ones that many Coeliac sufferers are in need of.
Common Coeliac deficiencies
- Thiamin – Also known as Vitamin B1. Helps your body’s cells transform Carbohydrates into energy that feeds your brain and nervous system.
- Riboflavin – Also known as Vitamin B2. It is needed for growth and overall good health, allowing oxygen to be used by the body. It also helps your body break down proteins, fats and Carbohydrates.
- Niacin – Also known as Vitamin B3. It helps your body lower cholesterol and is important for helping boost brain function and can help ease arthritis.
- Folate – Sometimes called Vitamin B9. Your body needs Folate to make DNA and other genetic material. Your body also uses folate to help your cells divide.
- Iron – A vital mineral that aides the proper function of hemoglobin, a protein that needed in order to transport oxygen in our blood, along with other important processes in our body.
- Calcium – The mineral that is necessary in order to keep our bones and teeth healthy. Calcium enables our blood to clot, muscles to contract and our heart to beat.
- Vitamin D – A group of fat-soluble secosteroids that helps our bodies absorb Calcium, magnesium and phosphate.
- Magnesium – A mineral that is very important for normal bone structure in our bodies, it also helps regulate muscle and nerve function, blood sugar levels and blood pressure. A lack of Magnesium can lead to a list of Symptoms and is more often low in Women.
Which Supplements do we suggest?
We have done the research. If you know you are low on one of the above Vitamins or minerals, you can trust these brands in Australia to be Gluten Free and suitable for Coeliacs.
- Thiamin – Loving Earth Camu Camu Powder
- Riboflavin – Loving Earth Rainbow Powder
- Niacin – Loving Earth Camu Camu Powder
- Folate – Vital Greens Organic Greens
- Iron – Floradix Floravital Herbal Liquid Iron
- Calcium – Lifestream Natural Calcium Powder
- Vitamin D – Floradix Calcium & Magnesium with Zinc & Vitamin D
- Magnesium – Floradix Calcium & Magnesium with Zinc & Vitamin D
Please remember to always consult a medical practitioner before embarking on any course of supplements.